Monday, March 24, 2014

Driftwood Garland

Two summers ago, my family took a trip up to Northern Minnesota for a week of fishing, relaxing and catching up. It was a wonderful week, and while we we're bumming around town one of the shops had a great driftwood "garland". Being the DIYers and crafty ladies that we are, my mom and I immediately agreed that we could "sooo make one of those". There began my obsession with collecting driftwood. I've made Jake stuff his pockets with little pieces of driftwood more often than I would like to admit. But now, more than two years later, I had enough to make my garland.
First I gathered my supplies: my box of driftwood, fishing line, and a drill. 
I drilled little holes in the middle of each piece of driftwood, and then simply threaded them on the fishing line. I kept doing that until I ran out of driftwood- I was convinced I would have enough to make it pretty long.

In the end my garland was about 3 feet long, and doesn't quite go end-to-end on top of our entertainment center. To make it easier to add more on later, I left one end of the fishing line open with a lot of extra.


Even if it's not long enough yet, I love the awesome texture and dimension that it has! I guess we'll have one more summer of collecting driftwood...
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment